Mushroom Tofu Lettuce WrapsJul 29, 2022
I absolutely love receiving requests from y'all for what you'd like to see from me in terms of recipes, wellness topics, etc. So when I recently posted a question box on Instagram for your input and saw many of you were lacking in the plant-based meals category, I started to brainstorm.
I have TONS of tasty plant-based recipes on my site, so don't hesitate to look around and get some inspiration there first!
For these delicious Mushroom Tofu Lettuce Wraps, though, I found my own inspiration from one of my personal favorite (and most popular) blog recipes - my Healthy Lettuce Wraps.
Instead of the ground meat, we're using tofu and mushrooms of your choice, and WOW. I can't tell y'all how delicious this swap turned out! I was a little hesitant to feed these to my meat-loving husband (who isn't the biggest tofu fan) and he devoured them. We even had them again a few days later per his request!
These two ingredients together provide the texture you expect from lettuce wraps, and the flavorful sauce really takes it to the next level.
Serve it all up in butter lettuce or romaine leaves for added crunch (and veggies, which we love).
And since toppings are the name of the game in my book, a sprinkle of cilantro, salted cashews, green onion and a simple but addictive peanut sauce.
I hope y'all love this recipe as much as we have, and be sure to give me a shout when you give it a try!
- 8 oz mushrooms fo choice, finely chopped
- 1 package (12-14 oz) extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ cup water chestnuts, drained & roughly chopped
- 1 large head of butter or romaine lettuce
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp corn starch or arrowroot starch
- green onion, cilantro & chopped, salted cashews (or peanuts) for topping
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons water
- Press the tofu between paper towels to release as much liquid as possible.
- Add avocado oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add tofu, and break into small pieces. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt & pepper to the pan, and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your sauce by whisking together coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sriracha, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and corn starch.
- Add sauce and water chestnuts to the pan.
- Stir, and allow the sauce to simmer and cook down for an additional few minutes.
- Once the sauce is thickened, remove from the heat.
- To make the peanut sauce, add all of the ingredients to a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Adjust to taste.
- Rinse and dry lettuce. Top leaves with tofu and mushroom mixture, and finish with green onion, cilantro, cashews and a drizzle of peanut sauce. Enjoy!
The latest goods, right in your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.