There's lots to love about this time of year, but cookies might easily top that list for me. While there's absolutely nothing like the real deal - iced sugar cookies, buckeyes, crescent cookies, etc. - who says we can't likewise enjoy some healthier alternatives as well?
If you're looking for some more nutritious options to enjoy this season, look no further! Check out these recipes on my site you're sure to love:
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF/DF)
- Healthy Almond Crescent Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
- Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Christmas Cookies
- 5-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
As for these Sugar & Spice Almond Cookies, you'll only need a few pantry staples, which I love. Almond flour makes the base, but I take it up a notch with almond extract as well. This is one of my favorite ingredients that I swear makes just about everything better.
These cookies are sweetened with coconut sugar which gives it a more brown sugar, caramel-y type taste. I encourage you to roll your dough in additional coconut sugar for just a little extra crunch on the outside as well!
For the bit of *spice* that gives these cookies their name, I opt for my all-time favorite - cinnamon. I might use this more than any other spice in my cabinet thanks to the powerful phytonutrients it provides and also its versatility. It's a simple way to amp up my coffee, oats, yogurt, energy balls, cookies, you name it.
Mix all of these together with some other staples like coconut oil, egg, etc. and you're in business. It's essential to chill the dough before cooking to keep these cookies from spreading on your baking sheet, so don't bypass this step!
When they're all baked up, you'll have a perfect, healthier treat to enjoy all season long. Let me know if you gives these babies a try!
Servings: 18 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups fine almond flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar, plus more to roll dough in later
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- slivered almonds for topping, optional
- In a bowl, add almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk together.
- Add egg, coconut oil, vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix together until completely combined.
- Roll dough into one, large ball and transfer to a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly and place in the fridge for at least an hour to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- When dough is chilled, use a cookie scooper or spoon to scoop dough into balls. Roll each ball in additional coconut sugar to coat.
- Place on the parchment-lined baking sheet, and use fingers to slightly flatten. Top each with a couple of slivered almonds.
- Bake for ~12 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool before enjoying!
The latest goods, right in your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.