Healthy Orange ChickenAug 10, 2023
I've really been craving takeout-style meals lately, and if there's one thing that just hits the spot like nothing else it's orange chicken. I have the yummiest Sticky Orange Tofu recipe on my site that's similar and a wonderful plant-based option as well, but creating this chicken version is long overdue.
What I love about this Healthy Orange Chicken, though, is how insanely flavorful (and easy) the sauce is. Orange juice and zest are keys, of course, but when combined with other pantry staples like coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sriracha, ginger, and garlic powder, they create something that's 10/10.
To get that sticky sauce that's KEY to any good orange chicken, you'll also add corn starch (you could swap for arrowroot starch) to help thicken everything up.
This, along with sautéing the chicken in a little sesame oil, adds so much amazing flavor that makes this meal anything but boring!
To serve, I love whipping up a batch of rice and a veggie or some sort - roasted broccoli is a personal favorite, bit you can truly do whatever you and your family love best.
Let me know if you give this one a try this week!
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into about 1.5 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- cooked rice and roasted broccoli (or veggie of your choice) to serve
- other additional toppings - sesame seeds, cilantro, avocado, sriracha, etc.
- juice & zest of one orange
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch or corn starch
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch of black pepper
1. Make the orange sauce by adding all of the ingredients to a bowl. Whisk to combine completely, and set aside.
2. Add toasted sesame oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the cubed chicken breast.
3. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, until little pink remains.
4. Add sauce to the sauté pan, and stir to coat chicken completely. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked completely (internal temperature reaches 165 degrees).
5. Serve with rice, roasted broccoli, and additional toppings of choice - sesame seeds, cilantro, avocado, sriracha, etc. Enjoy!
The latest goods, right in your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.